Thanksgiving at The Base

Labels:

I like the spirit of thanksgiving. Where I come from, thanksgiving is not celebrated. It's not a holiday or a special day. Even though thankfulness is a big part of our faith, there's no religious, cultural or social event to mark it.

My mum's spent years telling me that I should be thankful every single day. Mum, I know you're right, but it's just not possible! But, remembering to be thankful one day is more than possible.

So keeping with the spirit of the day, I'd like to express my thankfulness for the one thing without which I probably wouldn't know half of what I know - which isn't much to begin with but you get my drift.

The thing I'm most thankful for is the Internet. You heard me folks! Without the Internet I probably wouldn't have gotten interested in writing, I wouldn't have read about different cultures, wouldn't have gotten obsessed with world affairs and my horizons would have remained narrow had I not had access to the world wide web to find answers for every and anything I could think of.

Having been born and raised in a country that in its best years was called a 'developing country', the Internet became my portal of knowledge. It is the reason I chose the discipline I chose for my Bachelors. It's responsible for making me a writer and it is also the medium through which I get work.

Most of all, I'm thankful for all the learning opportunities it gives me. From taking online classes to attending conferences - without it I wouldn't even be a freelancer!

My thanksgiving giveaway: As a thanksgiving gift, I'm going to give 5 working hours free of charge. If you have a project that you want to work on but can't find the time or the money, I'll work for you for no charge.

Remember, I'm a writer so the work should have something to do with words. I'm open to all kinds of work. Writing, editing, proofreading, ghost writing etc. Even that of a Virtual Assistant. Be creative, or not. There are lots of possibilities.

If the work requires less than five hours, I'll take on someone else's work. The offer is valid till Sunday on a first come first serve basis. Monday I start working the allotted hours!

Bookmark this post:
StumpleUpon Ma.gnolia DiggIt! Del.icio.us Blinklist Yahoo Furl Technorati Simpy Spurl Reddit Google

8 comments:
gravatar
Admin said...
November 28, 2008 at 2:23 PM  

Hi Samar - Thanks for dropping by my blog - CathLawson.com. If you have no other takers, would you like to write a guest post for my blog?

I write about business and life and I often write about freelance writing too, because many of my readers are freelancers.

It looks like your blog is quite new and it would help you get some visitors to it.

gravatar
Rach S said...
November 29, 2008 at 8:46 AM  

Hi Samar - what a great idea. Cath's offer sounds like a good opportunity.

gravatar
Samar Owais said...
November 29, 2008 at 8:59 AM  

Cath - Thank you so much for the offer! I'd love to guest post. Have already sent you an email through the contact page of your website.

rsturley: Hi, Welcome to the base. I agree, For a newbie like me, it's an excellent offer. To be honest though - I'm nervous! If this works out it will be my first guest post.

gravatar
Tony said...
November 29, 2008 at 10:19 PM  

you're always welcome to guest post on my blog

gravatar
Rach S said...
December 1, 2008 at 5:22 AM  

Hi Samar - by the way I should have said I'm Rachael. You stopped by my post on proofreading the other day.

Don't be nervous about the guest post, from the posts I've read of yours so far, I'm sure it'll be great.

gravatar
Samar Owais said...
December 2, 2008 at 1:29 AM  

Tony, will take you up on that as soon as I have a post that's as funny as your blog :)

Rachael, Hey! so good to see you here! Thank you for the vote of confidence :)

gravatar
Daanish said...
December 3, 2008 at 9:15 PM  

Nice post,interesting concept of returning thankfulness:time and talent,mind and ides..........
what else the artist have!

gravatar
Samar Owais said...
December 4, 2008 at 5:08 AM  

Thanks Danish. I didn't get any takers so I gave those 5 hours to myself. The result of 3 of those hours is obvious on the blog :) Welcome!

Post a Comment